JOIN THE MOVEMENT!
DemCast is a hybrid digital media strategy meant to amplify the voices of grassroots activists who are out there helping to turn America blue. There are many ways to get involved in this innovative digital media co-op. Click here to find more opportunities:
STATE Social Media CAPTAIN POSITION DESCRIPTION
After reading the description below, if you are interested in applying for this volunteer position, please send an email to email@example.com with a description of why you’re a good fit, given the expectations and stated requirements. We will follow up.
DemCast Social Media Captains will play a critical role in the success of the DemCast model: recruiting people who run group and/or personal social media accounts, training them, and helping to guide their amplification efforts. Because DemCast is meant to help bridge the gap between local, in-person activism and digital activism on social platforms, Captains will oversee amplification of content specific to their home state.
Depending on the size of the state and the amount of relevant content, there may be multiple co-captains who work together as a team to manage amplification. There may also be platform-specific captains who specialize in organizing on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, for example. In any case, Captains will work as part of a broader team.
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
Given this structure, DemCast is recruiting individuals who want to take on State Captain leadership roles in their home states. Though DemCastUSA.com will not be live until later this fall, we are attempting to identify our Captains early – to orient them to the model and give them time to identify and recruit DemCasters (amplifiers).
DEMCAST CONTENT CAPTAINS WILL:
- Execute a rolling recruitment plan to find social media accounts from groups and individuals that align with the DemCast mission and vision. (Recruitment may entail networking in local communities through connections with existing activist organizations and party groups, searching for state-specific social media accounts on assigned platforms and reaching out to them directly, and other methods.)
- Help to vet social media accounts that volunteer to become DemCasters, using a structured vetting process designed by DemCast leadership.
- Train new DemCasters and help them onboard to the team.
- Troubleshoot conflicts that may arise between DemCasters. Elevate to leadership when necessary.
- Utilize a common communication platform for communicating with DemCasters (example: Slack, Basecamp, etc.- DemCast platform TBD.)
- Participate in semi-regular web conferences with the state-based team and national team to coordinate activities and messaging.
- Relay messaging and initiative guidance to assigned DemCasters.
- Ensure consistent sharing of state-specific DemCast content, working with the team to do it in a manner consistent with DemCast Mission Vision and Values.
- Work with DemCast Content Captains (who will identify and support Content Creators creating digital media within the state) to ensure state-specific media receives maximum amplification.
- Stay apprised and informed of local and state events, stories & individuals of note. Share relevant info with assigned DemCasters on the team.
- Share content daily, setting an example for DemCaster volunteers.
- Designate duties to Co-captains or coordinators as needed.
- 1 – 3 flexible hours/day.
BENEFITS OF BEING A DEMCAST CAPTAIN:
- Know that you are making a difference by leading a statewide team for Blue Wave 2020.
- Connect with grassroots and establishment leaders locally and nationally
- Grow in personal political goals by being more informed on local and state issues, and interacting with other influencers, campaigns and politicians across the state.
- Meet new friends with similar political goals and expand your personal/professional network.
- Expand your reach and influence by growing your social media follower base.
- Use skills learned in career or prior volunteer experience to help influence the American political process.
- Receive training and mentorship to help hone your activism and advocacy skills.
- Gain or expand experience in that may include liaising with candidates, campaigns, the party and elected officials
- Build your resume: Experience and results could assist in professional paid positions with DemCast and other grassroots or political organizations
- Strong organizational skills, time management and attention to detail.
- Leadership qualities/ skills, including: conflict mediation, team management and provision of motivational support.
- Demonstrated effective social media communication.
- Strong familiarity with at least one social media platform (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram), although training in how to maximize the use of all three will be provided.
- Strong working knowledge of the political climate and players in the state.
- Awareness of and connection to activist networks within the state.
- Expertise across all social platforms
- Past leadership roles (volunteer or paid) in local or state political or activist organizations.
- Deep knowledge of local or state activism networks and communication streams.