The Iowa Senate must vote NO on Joint Resolution 8, calling for the Koch Brothers’ “Convention of States” to amend the US Constitution. Here’s how to help.
This is an urgent Call To Action for voters in Iowa.
The Iowa House has passed Joint Resolution 8, calling for an Article V Convention of States to amend the US Constitution, as desired by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the Koch Brothers. The Iowa Democratic Party has confirmed that the corresponding Senate vote on JR8 could happen any day between now and the end of April.
It is critical that you reach out to your State Senators and demand that they vote no on Joint Resolution 8 calling for an Article V Convention of States.
Alarmingly, JR8 had bipartisan support in the Iowa House. Nevertheless, outreach efforts and the greatest pressure should be applied to Senate Republicans. Tell them you will work hard to expel them from office if they vote for a Convention of States.
Contact information for Iowa Senate Republicans: Click Here.
After calling Republicans, call the Democratic leadership in the State Senate. Make it very clear to them that this Resolution is unacceptable and a yes vote will place their jobs in jeopardy.
Contact information for Iowa Senate Democratic Leadership: Click Here.
When you speak to your legislators, they may tell you that:
- They are calling for a “Convention of States”, not a “Constitutional Convention”. But this is only a semantic trick. They are effectively the same thing.
- They only want to pass a “Balanced Budget Amendment”.
At face value, a balanced budget may sound austere and reasonable. But make no mistake – the drivers of this effort (including the Kochs’ Americans for Prosperity and ALEC) want to achieve budget “balance” by wholly eliminating government agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Education, along with core federal programs.
From the Center for Media and Democracy’s PR Watch: “Such an austerity amendment would drastically cut the size of the federal government, threatening critical programs like Social Security and Medicare and eviscerating the government’s ability to respond to economic downturns, major disasters and the climate crisis.”
Iowa: America really needs you to act. Don’t watch this happen from a distance. The Constitutional Convention movement is a coordinated effort to consolidate power among the wealthy, and cripple the lives of everyday Americans. #NoConCon
- A link to the actual language of Iowa’s Joint Resolution 8: Click Here.
- Bill Moyers Journal article providing background on the groups pushing for a Constitutional Convention: Click Here.
- Testimony given by Hawaii’s Attorney General and Deputy Attorney General, arguing strongly against calling a Convention of States, and how quickly things could get out-of-hand once the Convention convenes: Click Here.
Contributor Jennifer Cohn can be found on Twitter at @JennyCohn1.